Friday, June 24, 2011

Incredible.

Project is already halfway over! I feel like I just got here yesterday, but at the same time I also feel like I have been here for a forever. In just two and a half weeks of being here on mission, I can say it's been the most incredible summer of my life. Not only are we sharing the Gospel, but we're also getting to do "New York" things--Broadway plays, pizza, different culture dinners, and hanging out in the city in our free time.

This past Wednesday, our group went to see The Phantom of the Opera and it was phan(tom)tastic. (Yes, I do realize that was a really lame pun.) Moving on! It was one of the coolest things I have ever seen. I would go back and see it any day of the week. The special effects were great and the phantom was spectacular. It was great to experience the musical live in a theater--the way it was originally created to be seen.

I have found that it's really hard to do ministry here, but at the same time it's good for me. It has helped me learn to be dependent on God. In Kentucky, I have realized that I tend to try and do everything by my own power, which is not the way a Christian is supposed to operate. It's definitely not the way you can operate in New York City.

The people here are normally pretty open-minded, but not necessarily open-hearted. A lot of people seem to think that you're trying to sell them something when you go up to talk to them--understandable because a lot of people have tried to sell us things (including in my discipleship time last week). If you are able to get into a conversation with them, they're usually very willing to tell us their thoughts on God and spirituality, but they haven't been very receptive to the Gospel. It's heartbreaking, but we must understand that our job is to go out and share through the power of the Holy Spirit and leave the rest to God. Just plant the seeds and let God water and grow it.

Sometimes it's hard to keep your head up high when you've been rejected so much, but a couple verses come to mind:

"But how can they call on Him they have not believed in? And how 
can they believe without hearing about Him? And how can they hear without
a preacher? And how can they preach unless they are sent?"
-Romans 10:14-15

Much, much worse than getting rejected is a soul spending an eternity apart from God. We all need to proclaim the Gospel, whether on a mission trip or not, because how can they believe if they don't hear about the Savior? 

No comments:

Post a Comment